Some suppliers of photocopiers have got the industry a bad name…
You’ve probably heard of schools and other organisations getting ripped off by unscrupulous (bordering on criminal) suppliers of photocopiers, who sell you dodgy leasing deals and tie you into one-sided service agreements.
Well (and we hate to admit this) in some cases, it is true…
After becoming a Konica Minolta partner ourselves some time ago, we’ve spent the last 12 months listening to the unbelievable stories and situations many organisations (through no fault of their own) have found themselves in.
- Our photocopiers still had 12 months left to run on their original lease and the supplier told us they will settle the outstanding lease, just as long as we sign another lease for some new photocopiers. Later we found out that the supplier didn’t settle our old lease at all. They put the remaining monies on top of the price of the new equipment. Meaning we ended up refinancing the old equipment as well as the new equipment.
- We agreed a cost of 5p for each colour page we printed or copied. Our supplier then put their price up once and on some occasions twice a year. By the end of our agreement we ended up paying nearly double the price we initially agreed. When challenged, our supplier highlighted a small (almost hidden) clause in the contract that allows them to put the prices up, pretty much whenever they wanted.
- Our supplier used a price hike (that they instigated themselves) to drive a new sale from us. Saying, as the technology gets older it becomes more expensive to support, so if you sign up to new photocopier on a new lease, we’ll reduce your cost per page back to what it was at the start. We thought we had no choice and agreed.
- Our supplier told us they won’t support our photocopiers once they reached the end of their lease, and we had to buy new ones. And we thought we had no choice and signed up again.
- After agreeing (what we thought was) a fixed price for a colour page, our supplier charged us 3 x the amount for each one. Only afterwards did they tell us it was a fixed price for each individual colour used on the page to create the image. So if all 3 colours were required they charged us 3 x the original amount we had agreed.
- We only found out at later date, that our supplier charged us a huge amount of money for the initial installation (£500 plus VAT), which they had bundled into the price of the photocopier. And without knowing, we ended up paying for it as part of the lease payment.
- We couldn’t believe how much our supplier charged to move the photocopier into our new office, it took 2 of them under 3 hours and they charged us £450 plus VAT. And when we wanted to hook some new starters on to the copier we had to pay £75 plus VAT per hour. We don’t mind paying a fair price for extra services, but (in our opinion) this level of charge is much too high for the extra service we required.
- At the end of our lease, our supplier said that the leasing company takes back the old photocopiers, and we have to sign up to another lease for new photocopiers. We didn’t know any different so we did.
- The service our supplier provided was rubbish and we asked to end the maintenance agreement, even though we were only 2 years into a 5 year agreement. Our supplier said we could, but we had to buy out the remaining 3 years and they would base the price on our average monthly usage. Can you believe, this works out to be £3,600 plus VAT and no way can we afford that.
We vow to address all of these issues and are on a mission to change your perception of our industry…
From this day forward we GUARANTEE you this:
- We GUARANTEE never to settle your old lease (unless requested by you) to get you to buy a new photocopier. Remember, some other supplies will add the old lease monies on top of the new equipment price, and re-finance it all, making you pay much more in the long run.
- We GUARANTEE never to increase our agreement price. The page price we agree and written into the agreement, will be the price you pay at the beginning, middle and end of your agreement.
- We GUARANTEE never to try to drive a new photocopier sale from you by increasing your prices or telling you the technology is old and costs more to support, whilst you are in one of our agreements. The price you pay at the beginning, will be the same in the middle and at the end of your agreement.
- We GUARANTEE to still support your photocopier at the end of its lease, and will not request you buy a new one, unless you want one of course.
- We GUARANTEE the fixed colour page price we agree and write in to your agreement, will be the same price no matter how many colours you may use on each page.
- We GUARANTEE to be honest and transparent on our installation charge (£40 plus VAT per hour for each person required) and will never knowingly over-charge you. Please remember, some suppliers will charge you over £75 per hour plus VAT (per person) for this service, and (unknowing to you) may add this figure on to their price and lease charges.
- We GUARANTEE to charge a fair price (£40 plus VAT per hour (per person) for any moves, adds or changes required outside of the initial installation.
- We GUARANTEE, at the end of your lease term, to present you clearly with your options. Which are:
- Return your photocopiers to the lease company and sign up to a new lease with new equipment.
- Buy your old photocopiers for a small administration fee, usually a few hundred pounds and agree a new cost per page agreement for support, parts and consumables.
- Return your photocopiers to the lease company and downsize to one of our smaller printing solutions.
- Return your photocopiers to the leasing company and do not replace it.
- We GUARANTEE, if we do not provide you with consistent support (as detailed in our maintenance agreement) you are able to terminate your maintenance agreement by providing 3 months written notice.
Look, we know it’s a minefield out there. But whether you like it or not, for an organisation needing quality & reliable A4 & A3 print, copy and scan facilities, photocopiers are still (by far) the cheapest and best option.
…but your challenge is, to choose a supplier who can offer you simple, honest and reliable service at a fair price.