After reading Kodak are emerging through the darkness, with a move into smartphone technology.
It got us thinking of the other well known brands, that went away, reinvented themselves and came back with a completely new and different business model.
This is what we have come up with:
1) Burberry. The company has done an exceptional job of redefining the iconic – and previously stodgy – British luxury brand.
2) Lego. They almost faced bankruptcy in 2004 after heavy investments in movie licensing product. Lego sold a 70% stake in its theme parks business and outsourced plastic brick production to generate cash which it’s used to return it to a staple in every child’s toy-chest.
3) The British Royal Family. From near disaster following the death of Princess Diana. Fast forward 20 years and a new generation of Royals – led by Kate and Wills are helping reshape a family and a country.
4) Apple. With the success of the iPod, iPhone and then the iPad. Apple products are the pinnacle of 21st century cool. But it wasn’t always that way. Back in the 90s, Apple products had about as much street cred as shellsuits and Noel’s House Party.
5) Ourselves. Back in the day, we started as a little Cartridge World shop selling just printer consumables. But significant changes in technology and buying habits, made us change into a technology service company. We now develop, install and manage unique sunscription based printing solutions for both business and home. We are now MY Total Office Solutions and reinvention saved us.
Can you think of any other well known brands that have reinvented themselves?
Maybe you have had to reinvent your own brand and have a story to tell?